CBMS Choice-Based Art Studio

CBMS Choice-Based Art Studio
CBMS Choice-Based Art Studio

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Change Coming


I have a little extra time this week - what a gift! While rummaging around in the art storage room, I found a lovely box of cut cardboard shapes. I must have prepared it for a lesson I never delivered.
Looking at the enticing collection of smallish cardboard shapes makes me want to build something - to construct something. I determined to present this to the 5th graders who are away this week, upon their return, as an "Introduction to Sculpture" lesson.
But that's not all.
As I cut up more shapes, I keep thinking - comparing the simple elegance of these shapes to the conglomeration of materials that inhabit the current Sculpture Center. I have heard it said that this is the center that kids love the most and adults like the least. It's sort of true. The things kids make back there can be very challenging for adults. I am not immune. I will just say it: I am sick of the Sculpture Center. 
It needs a change. 
I am considering changing it to the "Cardboard Sculpture Station." I am wondering about really limiting the materials back there - provoking more thoughtful creating and less...you know...hot gluing. 

Can I pull off such a big change mid year/mid/trimester/mid quarter? Is it smarter to wait for a whole new year and start then?

Stay tuned - it's a cliffhanger!