CBMS Choice-Based Art Studio

CBMS Choice-Based Art Studio
CBMS Choice-Based Art Studio

Saturday, November 2, 2013

Reflection & Critique

Meet "Dale & Dalia" - two astronauts exploring far off places, clay sculpture collaboration, by "A" & "A," grade 6
Every two weeks, students pause in the “making” to reflect about and share their work. Sometimes the reflection is about a finished artwork, other times it is an examination of individuals’ creative process. Students refer to 8 “Studio Thinking Habits” as a lens to examine their work.
Here are some of the recent responses from a grade 6 class near the end of their 10 week quarter:
  • DEVELOP CRAFT: “I learned how to hand sew better and I learned a different kind of stitch.”
  • DEVELOP CRAFT/ENGAGE & PERSIST/ENVISION: ( this student chose 3 Studio Thinking Habits): “I am practicing my drawing skills by drawing a comic book/ I decided to make a comic book and I didn't give up on it/I’m using imagination by making up a comic book.”
  • ENVISION: “I used the sewing machine to make a costume for my sister’s 18” dolls.”
  • DEVELOP CRAFT: “I was developing craft because I was learning how to use clay in a better way because my piece is functional.”
  • OBSERVE: “I was going off what my friend did and I decided I really liked it.”
  • ENGAGE & PERSIST: “I chose this because I am determined to finish this blanket for my baby cousin.”
  • REFLECT:  “I have chosen reflect because I have learned to describe my artwork and talk about it in my own words.”

This is the second year that this group has employed Studio Thinking Habits to think and speak about their work. The habits were identified and described by a group of researcher and art educators from Harvard Project Zero who sought to define the benefits for students of participating in art programs.

These “Habits of Mind” are useful to examine learning in other disciplines as well. I have heard of music teachers, a science teacher and a math teacher who employ these ideas in their practice with students. Habits of Mind describe the thinking and skills that contribute to the ability to become life-long-learner and creative producers.