CBMS Choice-Based Art Studio

CBMS Choice-Based Art Studio
CBMS Choice-Based Art Studio

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Art Machine Update


Several weeks ago I drove past a “free pile” (famous in my area) and threw this old bike into the back of my car. 5Th graders organized themselves to turn the sad old bike into “The Art Machine.” They discussed how to decorate it and who would do what, made a list and set to work. Soon everyone had finished their self-appointed task, and they were – done. I asked them if I could offer the bike to 6th grade artists to pick up where they left off. 

The 5th grade group was agreeable to this with these rules:
  • It's ok to embellish areas of color with pattern or other decoration, but no obliterating original work
  • No painting under the coiled bike lock cable, because that guards a little patch of the original bike color, which they want to preserve.
So yesterday the first group of 6th graders started in on it, and I will offer it to another group tomorrow. The plan is that each grade level will get a crack at it. 
Most think of this project as decorating a bike that they will get on and ride away - they do not see this yet as an "object d'art."
I will keep you updated as things go along.