CBMS Choice-Based Art Studio

CBMS Choice-Based Art Studio
CBMS Choice-Based Art Studio

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Busy Studio

Second trimester ends on Friday - Third quarter is several weeks underway. 5th and 6th graders come for a quarter each this year, 7th and 8th graders stay for a trimester. There is a lot going on in the studio this week! In addition to their regular daily art classes, 7th and 8th graders have been using the studio during their study hall block to complete a social studies assignment. There are papier mache mummies and mountains and craft-stick villages sprouting up everywhere. 

5th and 6th graders are getting their first experience on the potter's wheel and enjoying clay exploration at the handbuilding table.  All the good tiles have been used up for mosaics.  An 8th grader commented during his final reflection today: "Nan suggested I try a mosaic, and I didn't think I wanted to, but now I really like it and I'm glad I tried one!"  Batik and encaustic have wound down a little at last, but promise to reprise next week when the classes change and I get a new group of 7th grade girls.
I paused on my way out of the studio the other day to take a photo and a deep breath. It is a busy art studio!