CBMS Choice-Based Art Studio

CBMS Choice-Based Art Studio
CBMS Choice-Based Art Studio

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

The Purpose of Art

Here are some of the responses I received from 5th and 8th grade artists this semester, when I asked "what is the purpose of art?" When their quarter in art begins, I ask that students write that question and their answer on one side of an index card. On the other side of  the card I ask students to describe their "Hopes & Dreams" for art this quarter. This is where they can list their plans and ideas, and let me know what I can do to be ready for this crop of artists.
At the end of the quarter I will return the cards and ask: "Have you discovered any additional purposes of art?" And on the flip side I will ask if they accomplished their hopes, dreams and plans - if so - how? If not - what did they do instead?

Reflection is an important artistic behavior, one we practice daily during work sessions, weekly through written self reflections and group share sessions and at the end of each quarter, when we look back and see what worked, what didn't and what's next.

This quarter I have just 5th and 8th grade students, representing the newest and the most senior middle school students at CBMS. It is an interesting juxtaposition to observe those just entering the program,  testing their wings as artists while others are putting together final projects and artistic farewells.